Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Write to Read, Read to Learn

Things are picking up with sentence analysis work. It is becoming a neat game to play and I really look forward to the new presentations involving this work

 So far they have learned to analyze sentences with just a subject and a predicate, sentences with subject predicate and indirect object, and now they are analyzing sentences with subject, predicate, indirect object, and adverbial.

 "What is an adverbial'? they asked. I wrote the word on a piece of paper and Ken and DJ both had aha moments as they used their prior knowledge to break down the word.

 The work that I purchased from Alisons Montessori has helped me tremendously. It has made preparing and understanding the work very easy for me. I am a visual learner and so are my kids so it helps to see what is being done. Adding arrows and circles is the fun part of this language activity.

 This photo is an example that I used to show Ken and DJ how we diagram the Adverbial part of the sentence.

 It truly was easy peasy for them. I love the part of copying the sentence down and then labeling it.
 Another thing that I noticed is that they talk their way through the analyzing of the sentence right along with the prompts on the arrows without even thinking about it.
 I never thought sentence analysis  work could be this fun and something that my kids look forward to doing.

 We still have a ways to go with adding on more arrows(parts of the sentence) before mastery of sentence analysis is achieved. Just look at how much fun is to come!!

Montessori Monday

Now it is your turn to share. Please link up your past or present language related post below. Just be sure to link back here so your readers can find this awesome collection of language activities.

                                                                          

6 comments:

  1. That looks very interesting. I looked at the materials at the website you mentioned, as I was thinking they might be good for my little boys, but the price was a bit too high for me. I do enjoy seeing your language work, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean about the prices. Since I hope to use these materials with a lot of children in the years to come it was worth it to me. Montessori Printshop has a nice price for the printable version. Thank you for leaving a comment and for participating in the Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fun! I just linked up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so wonderful to see this work in action!! Thank you for sharing such detailed information:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids' grammar work is awesome! I'm so glad you share it with Montessori Monday! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Montessori Elementary Activities and Ideas Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/montessori-elementary-activities-and-ideas/

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!