Friday, October 26, 2012

Elementary Weekly Wrap-Up: Fall Week 8

It has been a busy week here as the kids are getting anxious to go trick-or-treating. Everyday they are looking for opportunities to wear their costumes. Next week I am giving them two days off. One day we are going to spend a day at the Pumpkin Patch, and the other is the day after Halloween! I think they definitely deserve it though. Take a look!!

 For math DJ had fun matching the long chains to the squares and doing liquid measurements.                                                                          
  Ken stayed busy with the Decimal Board and the Stamp game practicing division.

They were delighted to create their own balance using a ruler while studying Piet Mondrian.

For Language there was a lot of fun stuff. In All About Spelling they learned a spelling strategy to how spell tion.
Grammar work was always being done.

DJ took to the reading analysis work, he described it as a fun game:)

              On Thursday he published his third writing work that involved all the steps in the writing process.                                                            

        They reviewed their Latin words while reading a fun story,                                                                            

They completed their second Chemistry lab. What they learned was the difference from a physical test and a chemical test. This was the first time that they record their findings as they went along in our home school. It was a blast and they are loving our science work.

After the lab they continued to explore with cooking oil and food coloring.                                                                            
                                                                           
DJ did some history research as well as a snake report that you can read on his blog The Edison Project
               Ken did some research on Landmarks.                                                          

          We started our election headquarters. Stay tuned for some really cool mock elections child led.

I am linking this post to Montessori Monday What's New hosted by Vibrant Wanderings and to Weekly Wrap-ups hosted by Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers . Also linking up to Friday Fun School hosted by Ben and Me.                                                                                                                             

15 comments:

  1. Okay, it's official. I am in love with your family. We all want to move in. We can buy houses with adjoining backyards and fence it all in as one...like BIg Love, except the Mommies will have their OWN husbands. Let me know when something comes up for sale adjoining your house ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Sounds like a great idea, the kids would love it!! If you only knew how much I stalked your blog:)

      Delete
  2. You guys are so inspiring! You've got such a wonderful collection of Montessori materials! I agree with lady in the above comment. I love your beautiful family too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, thank you!! I feel good that finally the materials are being used! Just keeping the faith that hopefully all of our school weeks look similar to this one.

      Delete
  3. There is so much to like about this week...I like the math and grammar work. I like Real Science (and their history as well). Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed their math and grammar work too. Thank you so much, Phyllis for all of your support!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hands-on math and grammar! Are those part of a curriculum or did you make them? Math makes so much more sense when you can SEE it.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The math and grammar materials are our Montessori work materials. I purchased them from Kid Advance. And yes for my children they definitely have to use as many senses as they can to enjoy it and understand it. Thank you so much for stopping and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome week! Can't wait to hear about the mock debates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all are doing great! I love all the hands on stuff. Can my children go to your your house? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words, and Yes the more the merrier.

      Delete
  9. What an amazing and impressive week! I love it ... I love it ... I love it! Did I say I love it yet? I so wish I had more grammar work materials. I haven't made the montessori grammar symbols out of foam yet and I know Alyssa would get a kick out of this activity. What AAS level are you using? I look forward to continuing that curriculum for sure. We LOVE how hands-on it is! Alyssa will start Level 2 soon. I should have started it months ago. I can't wait to work on division - we have only done simple division. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are using All About Spelling level 5. They love it, and although some of the words they can spell, the rules are so helpful and they are at the age that they enjoy learning new rules. Thank you so much for the nice compliment and for taking the time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a week behind on my reading. :) Great week. I especially like the Piet Mondrian activity.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!