Friday, October 19, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up: Fall Week 7

HAPPY FRIDAY!! This has been a really different kind of week. Routines were thrown off by colds, and sleeping in late helped them to maintain some normalcy.  They still put in work!! Take a look.

 Ken and DJ's spelling work involved learning the two different spelling strategies to use tion. Editing, and Revising have kept them both busy this week in the writing department. DJ also wanted to share his picture of his latest flyer for his vet business:) Michelle completed "Conflicts in Plots" in the Nanowrimo Workbook. This workbook has been great for her she is really excited about writing her own novel.                                                                        

Michelle is loving reading Around The World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne as part of her new curriculum History of Odyssey: Modern Times. Even though she is just four lessons into it I still feel that this is going to work out. I am going with this curriculum for Ancient Times with Ken and DJ. History of Odyssey is definitely our Favorite Resource this week. Go check it out! Try it for free! Michelle enjoyed tracing Phileas Fogg's journey around the world and learning new facts about the places he visited.

 Latin is still the center of Michelle's attention and she managed to complete chapter 4 and start unit one in Chapter 5, despite taking a school day off this week.

 Making the clay mountains has proven to be the best method for them to learn the parts of something. On the shelf next week I plan to leave out clay and pictures of land forms that they don't know. I am anxious to see how this goes and if they become interested in knowing them.

All three of them completed another Self Test while working with the Time Line of Life. Next week we will move on to The Coming of Humans. We will read book three in our Great Lesson Books, and  use some mommy made materials to keep the interest high in this area.                                                                          
In math this week Ken worked with the Decimal Board learning how to read and add decimal numbers. She used the Parts of the Circle cards to illustrate the parts using the Geometric Sticks. In Shiller Math she did some addition estimation.
 
DJ created his own multiplications problems and used the Small Bead frame to solve the problems.
       In Shiller Math he worked on Pattern Recognition.                                                                
Michelle plugging along in Teaching Textbook Algebra I. This is the week where she says" Everything is getting harder".                                                                      
                                                                                 
Yea!! For Chemistry!! Ken and DJ did their first lab this week investigating chemicals in cereal and things around the house. They absolutely loved this!!
      Exploring Animal X-Rays with homemade light table.  

       We also starting learning more about Piet Mondrian.                                            

I am linking this post to What's New hosted by Vibrant Wanderings and Weekly Wrap-Ups hosted by Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.               

9 comments:

  1. It seems like lots of us have had colds this week. I guess it's that time of year. I hope you all are feeling better come Monday!

    How neat to write your own novel!

    I think that's a great way to learn landforms! I have a paper activities pinned on Pinterest, but I think my younger kids would enjoy MOLDING them instead! LOL

    Love to Mondrians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at your weekly wrap-ups! I especially love the labeled mountain model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of awesome learning, again! The clay mountains look fun. I can't wait until we start RSO Chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fab week. Can I ask where you got the animal xrays from and how you made the light table? I think that would be such a great addition to our anatomy studies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the X-rays from Amazon. They also have human X-rays too. I just used a push light and placed them in the clear container. I also seen around the web the use of Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear everyone was sick, but I hope all is well in your house and you're ready for another busy school week! It's so cool to see what your kids are working on, as usual. I love the clay mountains, and the enduring love of chemistry, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by I am just here to say Hi and that I am following you back from the Crew

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry about the colds...we've had them here, too. Looks like a fantastic week otherwise! So many fun learning activities :)
    Thanks for sharing at Favorite Resources.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!