Thursday, October 18, 2012

History and Geography Books

While browsing on the Internet looking for some history and geography lessons I found some new to us books that I just had to get.

For a while now I have been trying to put together a research shelf for my children to use as a quick reference area to go to besides just using the Internet. I have been looking on Craigslist, and Ebay for an encyclopedia set but haven't had any luck.  

It was a nice surprise to come across The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. I really like the timeline that appears on the top of each page, the reading level is written so all of my children can read it, understand it, and the illustrations are just fantastic.

 This book is designed so brilliantly. For every page with information there is a link to a website with more information on the subject. I love that if my children are researching using this book that they are staying focused and not being distracted by other things on the Internet. Also I can see how this book will help them get as deep as they want to go on a topic.

  I have had Volume one of Story of the World for awhile, Ken and DJ are about to begin reading it together. I picked up volume 4: The Modern Age for Michelle who will be studying the Modern Age. Another bonus about the Story of the World books is the maps. Michelle is using History Odyssey Modern Age for her history and geography curriculum it is very important that she can access a map easily and these books help her to be able to do this.                                                                            

This story of history begins with the origins of human life and ends at the new millennium. It is a living book that is very captivating. It is also a required reading for Michelle in her curriculum. I am definitely planning to share this book with Ken and DJ too.


I think that adding these books to our library it will also help them in making their own timelines. If you know of any other good history/geography books please leave your suggestions in the comments it will be appreciated.

I am linking this post to the History/Geography Meme hosted by All Things Beautiful
                                                                          

8 comments:

  1. We love SOTW here! I love all the reference books you've listed. We have only one for Ancient History. I need to budget for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the budget thing. Don't forget about the library!!

      Delete
  2. LOL...We have all of those books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This must mean I am moving in the right direction! I admire your home school!!

      Delete
  3. What a great list! I was just thinking that we need to start building a library too! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this collection!!! I'm a big fan of History@!!! Thanks for share!!

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!